Listening to NPR today (I should say straining to hear over the yell-singing of two rambunctious ballerinas), I was thrilled to hear about new research saying the consumption of berries is showing heart benefits for women.
“We showed for the first time that a regular intake of substances that are naturally present in red-, blue-colored fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of a heart attack by about 32 percent in young and middle-aged women [ages mid-40s to 60],” compared with women who ate berries once a month or less, says study author Aedin Cassidy of the University of East Anglia. The researchers found other fruits such as apples and pears were not associated with a decreased risk.”
- Make smoothies with whatever you have on hand: berries (of course!), yogurt, applesauce, juice, milk
- Add blueberries to oatmeal or cereal
- Have fancy desserts of yogurt and berries
- Add berries to most baked goods
- Eat frozen blueberries as a snack treat
- In winter buy and eat frozen berries