(Here is a wonderful post from our friends at the International Rescue Committee. Please consider giving gifts that save lives such as the ones listed below. I’d love to hear from you in the comments, particularly any giving you do with your family during the holidays.)
Each symbolic Rescue Gift – from a Baby Goat to the gift of Clean Water – represents a program, project or tool that the IRC uses in its critical humanitarian work around the world. Many also reflect the IRC’s dedication to ensuring that refugees have access to nutritious food even during times of crisis. Gifts will be used where and when most needed to provide help and hope to people who have been uprooted by conflict or disaster.
Gift-givers can browse Rescue Gifts online and dedicate them to loved ones, who will receive beautiful personalized print or e-cards to acknowledge the gift. There is a Rescue Gift for everyone on a your list, at a variety of price points. A small sampling:
· For the partner or spouse: Emergency Food ($68) can deliver a month’s supply of vitamin-rich therapeutic food for at least 50 malnourished children in places wracked by food shortages or famine.
· For children, to teach them the value of giving: A Baby Goat Rescue Gift ($50) can provide relief for a family in a drought-stricken area like Somalia. When grown, a goat can provide milk for malnourished children.
· For the sweet tooth: A Honeybee Harvest Kit Rescue Gift ($72) can help farmers boost their income through beekeeping by providing hive frames, a smoker and a bee brush.
· For the green thumb: A Community Garden Rescue Gift ($60) can provide tools and seeds to refugees who have been resettled in the United States, so that they can grow their own fresh, healthy food in an IRC community garden.
· For the chef: An Emergency Cookstoves Rescue Gift ($53) can help deliver 8 propane-powered cookstoves to families displaced by decades of war in Afghanistan. These enable families to prepare their own warm meals, another step on the road to recovery.
As an added bonus, shoppers who spend $75 or more at Rescue.org/Gifts will receive a fashionable “Rescue” T-shirt or can have it sent as a gift.