Kids Konserve Waste-Free Lunch Kits (Green Up Those Lunches!)

I have only one more year before I will need to plan for packing a lunch for my oldest daughter to go to (gulp) kindergarten. But I do know that I want to have no waste from her lunches, and send her with containers that are safe and chemical free.

I found a great website to help us parents green our kid’s lunches. Kids Konserve is an online store devoted to providing safe and green lunch products for kids.

I was lucky enough to receive the Kids Konserve Waste-Free Lunch Kit that is pictured above. It has a beautiful cloth bag with butterflies (caterpillars are available, too), a stainless steel water bottle and a cloth napkin with the same design, two stainless steel (perfect size) snack containers, and a #4 reusable plastic sandwich wrapper. So, absolutely no waste right down to the napkin. How cool is that?

Kids Konserve uses stainless steel because, “Our food grade stainless steel is the cleanest non-leaching and safest to put your food in.”

The lunch kit is adorable, immediately usable and small enough to fit in a backpack. I would love to get a thermos for soup, too (if my kid ever start to like soup again).

I asked lots of questions of the owner and green lunch advocate, Christy. She was patient with me. I did learn that the water bottle is made in China, but is tested for safety. Kids Konserve is trying to move towards all of their products being made in the U.S. The number 4 plastic is considered a safer plastic, and it is certainly safer than some of the sandwich wraps that are made with PVC plastic.

Now that I have this kit, I will actually have to pack a lunch for my daughter for school. And I can feel no guilt about the environmental impact. I don’t know how you parents do this. I can barely feed myself in the morning (and slug down a cup of coffee). So how do you all find time to pack healthy lunches??

11 Responses to Kids Konserve Waste-Free Lunch Kits (Green Up Those Lunches!)

1. Audrey January 18, 2009 at 12:07 pm #

Put everything together the night before! I don't pack for my daughter (she's only 18 months), but I do pack for my husband, and I put everything together the night before. I put his crackers or whatever in a container, make his sandwich (if you do peanut butter and jelly, put a thin layer of PB on both slices of bread so it will act as a barrier and the jelly won't make the bread soggy) and stick it in the container, scoop the yogurt out of the large container and put it in a small bowl, fill his reusable water bottle with water…. then I stick the sandwich, yogurt, and water in the fridge, and put his crackers and spoon in his lunch box…. and when he gets up in the morning, he just has to grab the stuff out of his corner of the fridge, stick it in his lunch box, and go!I couldn't do it in the morning. Absolutely no way!Oh, and if you put a thin layer of PB on both slices of bread and then jelly on the PB, those sandwiches freeze well. That way you grab it out of the freezer in the morning, stick it in their lunches, and by lunch time it is thawed. I make them for a week or two at a time. :)

2. Leslie January 18, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

Love it! Please see my post at http://forgetmenottots.blogspot.com/2009/01/hydra… on some awesome Thermos products that helped me cut down on waste when out and about on foot with my twins. They do use some plastic, but the keeping-stuff-cold factor was worth the tradeoff for me.

3. shelley January 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm #

my daughter is in kindergarten now, but only has snack time…but come this fall when she is a full time first grader (cry!)it may be a little tough to pack lunches. i still 'cook' so much for her: cheese bread, pasta. she discovered she liked PB&J (grape) at a friends house (no chunky fruit in the jam/jelly!) so i guess i can pack that. if she still likes it in a few months! not sure what 'school lunches' bring just yet. my first baby is growing up way to fast!! :*) how will i survive her being gone 7 hours! ugg!

4. Brittany January 19, 2009 at 7:35 am #

I just saw your web site and really love it! http://www.wallypop.net also has very inexensive reusable snack bags and sandwich wrappers for toddlers! It's owned by a WAHM and offers all kinds of waste free living stuff.

5. Anonymous January 19, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

Great post! Love the butterflies. I got the Kids Konserve Thermos and love it – it has taken me out of my sandwich making slump and got me creative with thinking beyond soup! My son loves his favorite beans and rice or mac 'n cheese in his thermos – he says it is still warm, like home!

6. Katy Farber January 19, 2009 at 6:58 pm #

You ladies are fabulous! Who knew all these great tips. I will certainly be re-reading your comments when my girl heads off to full day kindergarten. Audrey– brilliant ideas for the night before. I will need to do that because I can't add this to my already lacking morning routine. We can't do PBJs due to my daughter's severe nut allergy, but they make one out of sunflower seeds (Sunbutter) that is just as tasty. I think I may need to buy a thermos for more options like you suggested, and I will check out wallypop– thanks for the tip, Brittany. I'm glad you like the site!Thanks, commenters, for your brilliant ideas. Keep 'em coming.

7. Marci January 19, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

Great timing! I just found out today that my daughter needs to stay away from all plastics. I did a search for stainless alternatives for lunches since I pack her lunch everyday. Your site came up! Thanks!

8. Cathy January 21, 2009 at 7:20 pm #

Thank you for posting about Kids Konserve! With Earth Day coming up, my children's school is looking to do some "Green" fundraising and Kids Konserve has a Waste-Free Lunch Challenge/Fundraiser! We are going to jumpstart our Earth Day with making a few changes! Kids Konserve was very helpful to answer questions and excited to have another school interested in going waste-free. Thanks for the tip! http://www.kidskonserve.com

9. smilinggreenmom August 3, 2009 at 3:41 am #

I too have one of my kiddos going to first grade and am wondering how I will feel with her at school for 8 hrs a day? :( I know I will miss her tons! I love the lunch sack kits but could not find their patterns? She did not like the green. Anyone help me on this one? Also- i should try getting one now for our son who goes to preschool this year so he can feel grown up like his sister ;) I am worried beyond belief about him at school because he too has a nut allergy and we make soybutter sandwiches for him! I am so thankful that he can now tolerate so many more foods since he started taking his Vidvazorb kids chewable probiotic…otherwise, I just do not know how I would have ever have been able to pack any kind of lunch for him! It has been an answered prayer! Anyway- I would sure love to find an Eco-friendly lunch kit with patterns geared more towards girl vs boy style!! Suggestions? Thanks! smilinggreenmom *tweet me!!

10. Anonymous August 6, 2009 at 6:56 pm #

Smile Green Mom, Just looked and Kids Konserve does have some more boy solutions, check out their moss green new insulated lunhc sacks, really cool, made from recycled plastic bottles! I hear ya on the 1st grade thing!

1. Eco-Friendly Back to School Guide 2009 (part one) | Non-toxic KidsNon-toxic Kids - May 24, 2014

[…] *Kids Conserve Waste Free Lunch Kits : These are really cute and functional. I love the color cloth bags, the small snack sized containers and the matching napkins. This is a mom on a green mission, which I love to see! […]