Teflon Replacement: Not so Green–

(Update: It looks like the Green Gourmet by Cusinart is the real deal. Shared by Green Mom Finds. Safe and Happy. Hopefully.)

I was very skeptical when I heard that viola! there was a Teflon like PFOA (and PFC) free non-stick pan on the market that was safe and green. It just didn’t sound right.
And yesterday on Enviroblog, the scientists, sleuths and environmental health heroes that they are, found this new chemical to be just as unsafe as the other one. And of course, in true form of many manufacturers and corporations, there is no real information about its effects in humans (so why not use it!).

Visit this Enviroblog article to learn more. You’ll find links to why the voluntary phase out of PFOA isn’t working (since they do seem to be making money here), that there is a bill in the eternally righteous state of California to ban both the old offensive Teflon chemical (C8) and the new one (C6), tips on how to avoid these chemicals, and how DuPont still insists Teflon is safe, but, just in case, they will use this maybe safer, maybe not chemical instead.

Sorry, I’m feeling a bit cheeky tonight- I do hope not too many folks had already purchased this “green” technology. I know I was thinking about it (have I mentioned my love for crispy homefries?)

photo by wine scribbler via flickr

16 Responses to Teflon Replacement: Not so Green–

1. Angi June 11, 2008 at 8:18 pm #

Wow, this was timely as I was JUST about to hunt those pots and pans down as a gift for my hubby for Father's Day.Thanks for saving me the trouble. :)Angi

2. Jan June 12, 2008 at 6:32 am #

I need to purchase new pots and pans, and after researching what kind to get, I"m even more confused? Can someone help me? Should I go with the stainless or the anodized aluminum? Is the nonstick (Calphalon) safe in the anodized aluminum kind? So confused! Jan

3. Amanda June 12, 2008 at 7:18 am #

Thanks for the link, Katy!I just put in a quick phonecall to our VP for research, and she says that GreenPan uses nanotechnology — so while they're not using PFCs, they're also not being very straightforward about other possible health and environmental impacts associated with nanoparticles. Sounds tasty, right?

4. Katy Farber June 12, 2008 at 5:20 pm #

Hi Jan, A quick idea is to buy stainless steel or cast iron. These aren't great options for using little fat and getting those crispy homefries, but that is what I use (stainless steel) until I learn about something else that is safe and works better. It works okay. I'll prowl around and see if I can find some more information for you, too. I empathize with your frustration!!Katy

5. Katy Farber June 12, 2008 at 5:21 pm #

Thanks, Amanda! Lots of folks have been asking me about silicon bakeware, too. What do you know about those? Thanks for looking in to this, and I appreciate all your hard work!

6. Ilina June 13, 2008 at 3:10 am #

I got rid of my nonstick Calphalon after I had kids. We broke the bank getting All Clad stainless, but it's awesome and will last a lifetime. I cook everything I ever cooked in the Calphalon, and clean up is a breeze. The secret is a good shake of Barkeepers Friend, which you can get at Williams Sonoma or even Target (now you have an excuse to go to Target!).

7. Jan June 13, 2008 at 6:14 am #

Thank you, Katy, for the advice. Does this mean that all nonstick is dangerous, including the Calphalon anodized one? Is stainless steel in brands other than all clad still safe to use?

8. Jennifer & Shawn June 13, 2008 at 7:19 am #

katy~What about the cuisinart "green gourmet"? Someone mentioned this pan in a post recently and said it was a green alternative. Or is this pan unsafe too????~jen

9. momsathome June 13, 2008 at 8:39 am #

So what are people baking on? I'm talking cookies. Seems like all the cookie sheets are non-stick. Any ideas? All of our pots and pans are either stainless or cast iron, but the cookie sheets are still a problem I think.

10. Katy Farber June 15, 2008 at 6:08 pm #

Momsathome- I am in the dark ages with my mother in law's cookie sheets that my husband literally remembers her using when he was little! They are aluminum. But I don't do much baking at all. I'm not sure about this one. I try to research it and get back to you. Also, I've contacted the Amanda and EWG who has access to all the great scientists and researchers over there who can share a little more about this with us. Thanks for commenting!

11. Katy Farber June 15, 2008 at 6:20 pm #

Jen,I believe this is the one that was featured over at Green Mom Finds, and it looks like it is made from some sort of ceramic with an aluminum core. So far it looks good! I did a search and didn't find anything about it containing anything awful. But I would defer to Amanda and EWG. Hopefully this one's a keeper! Ah, tasty homefries, here I come–

12. Karine June 20, 2008 at 3:12 pm #

Are you familiar with Scanpan?http://www.scanpan.com/main/GreenTek.aspxI have been using them instead of the old teflon, and they work really nicely.

13. Katy Farber June 26, 2008 at 8:08 am #

Karine!I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the link and for commenting.

14. nicnelly January 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm #

Did anyone ever find out about Cuisinart's green pan? Is it safe? I couldn't find anything on EWG's website. thanks!

15. Katy Farber February 23, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

Nicnelly,I didn't find anymore information about this, but I did finally buy a the green gourmet pan. It works really well, and doesn't seem to give off any odor. Wish I had more solid information for you.Good luck!Katy

16. bettina December 8, 2012 at 11:17 am #

I want to buy the 3 way cook system. And Ninja and Quisinart seem to be comparable. Exept Quisinart which has les accesories boasts to be bp free.What does it mean that Ninja doesn't have that boast, but I like the product more?